Monday, February 14, 2011

questions answered...

i had several questions and emails about painting my kitchen so i thought i would do one last post and then you don't have to hear about it anymore :)



painting: while i would love to say that i was cool enough to tackle this project myself, i'm not.  i left it to the professionals but i did buy all of the supplies so i can guide you a little on what they used.  our cabinets were a light stained wood so to get the paint to adhere they first started w/ sanding all of them.  next, they used zinsser cover stain.  this stuff is heavy duty and so we moved out of our house for 4 days while they painted.  it's an oil based primer that covers really well over wood, knots, etc. here is a pic of the can if you need a visual:

my paint colors were Benjamin Moore from the Classic Color collection.  the cabinets were oil base, which is not my favorite thing to use but the durability is a lot better.

cabinets: Vapor Trails 1556 (this is actually one shade lighter then Sally Wheat's kitchen)

and the walls: Northern Cliffs 1536
a lot of people also asked about my chair fabric....its one of my spare DR chairs and the stripe is lulu dk's catwalk light blue w/ brown.  
thanks a million for all of your sweet comments!  it was fun sharing the process and even more fun to get the "after" product!  
and i can't end w/out saying happy valentine's day!!  seriously, can this cake make its way into my kitchen so i can eat it?!! xoxox

19 comments:

Julie said...

Fun, Shannon! I loved Sally Wheat's kitchen so it was fun to hear that it was one shade lighter. It does give it an airier feel because that kitchen, though beautiful, was much darker gray, you can tell.

I love seeing these real life redos that don't cost a bajillion dollars!

xinefly said...

Thanks for the info! I've read other places that going with oil-based paint on cabinetry is the right way to go...so, thanks for confirming. Hope someone brings you that Valentine's Cake!

Unknown said...

Well the end result is fantastic :)

Shorely Chic said...

GREAT job!! I love the transformation :) My fiance and I are temporarily shacking up in my parents house in the inlaw suite and the kitchen cabinets are maple wood color. I am dreaming of white cabinets these days, but since it is temporary, I will keep on dreaming!

mb said...

Great job on the kitchen. Oil paint is a smelly no no with kids (or adults), you were smart to move out until the job was done.
I just sanded and oil painted a bedroom side table for my daughter's apartment in Austin. I vow to avoid another paint project. All the windows were open and we still have a toxic house.

Enjoy your beautiful kitchen.
mb from Dallas

Tote said...

Your kitchen turned out beautiful! I am dying to do our cabinets. I am so tired of oak wood!
Happy Valentines day!

Susan

Jeanne Oliver said...

Gorgeous! It turned out so incredible. I love the subway tiles. I wish I were brave enough to paint our wood cabinets.

objects of whimsy said...

and we can join you in admiring your lovely kitchen eating hot pink cake!

Hannah said...

we are thinking of painting our kitchen cabinets...but the thought of all of that painting and layers of paint....ahhhhh! we have done every other room in the house...using zinsser to cover up DARK wood! it's the best!!

Fran said...

Shannon, thanks for the paint colors - I do love them! Your kitchen is absolutely fabulous!!

Rhan Vintage said...

Your kitchen looks amazing! I love the colors you chose.

casey at loft and cottage said...

Such a great job! I am loving how this kitchen went from eclectic 90s to totally classic. Your colors are amazing. Thanks for the details on how you did it!

Laura said...

I've been a white kitchen lover forever but I think you may have converted me to the beautiful muddy grey you painted yours - it's absolutely stunning. I think it makes pretty things like a white vase with pink peonies pop a bit more than the normal white cabinets. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Great renovation!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! Love it!

Gabriella said...

I love how your kitchen turned out! Looks lovely!

Devin Adams said...

Great job, Shannon! It looks more stylish and quite durable. Selecting the right kitchen cabinets long island can be really an eye-opening experience.

Amy Vermillion Interiors said...

Looks great! Amazing what some paint and a lot of talent can do!

Sal said...

What a wonderful cake! I love the embroidered party dresses too =) Makes me think of the 50s!

www.bluebonnetsforsal.com